The Daily Republic of Mitchell, S.D., won the “General Excellence” award in its division of the recent South Dakota newspaper contest and received the most awards in its division of another contest open to newspapers in North Dakota, South Dakota and Nebraska.
In all, The Daily Republic won 33 awards from the South Dakota Newspaper Associationâ€™s Better Newspapers Contest and the Associated Press Managing Editors Great Plains News and Photo Contest. Both contests covered work published in 2010, and the awards were announced in April.
In the SDNA contest, The Daily Republic won the “General Excellence” award, meaning it was judged to be the best newspaper in the state with a circulation of up to 14,000. It was The Daily Republicâ€™s second consecutive year winning the award.
In the Great Plains contest, The Daily Republic won 13 awards in its division, medium-sized daily newspapers.
The Daily Republic is owned by Forum Communications Co., headquartered in Fargo, N.D.
Following are the awards won by The Daily Republic and its staff:
SDNA advertising awards:
- Best Advertising Section: second, staff; third, staff.
- Best Use of Color: third, Janet DeRouchey.
- Best Classified Section: first, Classified Department.
SDNA news/editorial awards:
- Best News Story: third, Seth Tupper.
- Best News Series: first, Melanie Brandert; second, Austin Kaus; third, Tom Lawrence.
- Best Feature Story: first, Ross Dolan; second, Tom Lawrence.
- Best Sports Reporting: first, Travis Mester; second, Luke Hagen.
- Best Sports Column: second, Luke Hagen.
- Best Editorial Writing: third, Seth Tupper.
- Best Local General Interest Column: first, Tom Lawrence; second, Terry Woster.
- Best Spot News Photo: third, Chris Huber.
- Best Special Issue: second, staff.
- Best Typography and Design: third, Publisher Korrie Wenzel and Editor Seth Tupper.
- General Excellence: first, Publisher Korrie Wenzel and Editor Seth Tupper.
Great Plains News and Photo Contest:
- Spot News: 1. Tom Lawrence and Laura Wehde, The Daily Republic, â€œDam busting rain socks Springs area.â€ 2. Austin Kaus, The Daily Republic, â€œHouse explodes in Mitchell.â€
- Enterprise: 1. Ross Dolan, The Daily Republic, â€œThe federal stimulus brought $124 million to the Mitchell area, but some wonder: Was it worth the cost?â€ 2. Melanie Brandert, The Daily Republic, â€œFor American Indian families, a dilemma: Tribal or public school?â€ 3. Seth Tupper, The Daily Republic, â€œDiscerning the role of women in church.â€
- News Column: 2. Tom Lawrence, The Daily Republic, â€œPolitics and good looks tend to go hand in hand.â€ 3. Korrie Wenzel, The Daily Republic, â€œMicroburst memories.â€
- Sports Column: 1. Luke Hagen, The Daily Republic, â€œA Target Field memento.â€
- Sports Feature: 2. Travis Mester, The Daily Republic, â€œCoaches as caregivers.â€
- Website: 3. Chris Huber, The Daily Republic, â€œThe Daily Republic Photo Blog.â€
- Spot News Photo: 3. Chris Huber, The Daily Republic, â€œHouse explodes in Mitchell. â€
- Sports Action Photo: 2. Luke Hagen, The Daily Republic, â€œGau, Alexandria take â€˜Bâ€™ Legion title.â€ 3. Korrie Wenzel, The Daily Republic, â€œTitle run.â€