OACOMA, S.D. — The Daily Republic has been judged the best newspaper in its division of an annual South Dakota contest for the third straight year.
The newspaper received the General Excellence award Saturday during the announcement of the Better Newspapers Contest results at the South Dakota Newspaper Association’s annual convention, held this year at Cedar Shore Resort in Oacoma. The Daily Republic has won the award six of the last nine years.
The Daily Republic competes in a division consisting of daily newspapers that circulate fewer than 14,000 copies per day. The other newspapers in the division are located in Brookings, Huron, Madison, Pierre, Spearfish, Watertown and Yankton.
In another contest highlight for The Daily Republic, photographer Chris Huber won an Outstanding Young Journalist award. The award is open to all newspaper journalists younger than 30 in the state, and only two winners are chosen — one from a daily newspaper and one from a weekly.
The SDNA awards were the second of two annual award announcements for South Dakota newspapers, following the Great Plains News and Photo Contest coordinated by The Associated Press. In its division of that contest, The Daily Republic won the most first-place awards and the most overall awards. The AP contest awards were announced earlier this month.
Following is the full list of awards won by The Daily Republic in the SDNA contest:
- General Excellence: The Daily Republic, Publisher Korrie Wenzel and Editor Seth Tupper, first.
- Outstanding Young Journalist: Chris Huber, winner in daily division.
- Best News Story: Denise Ross, first.
- Best Feature Story: Anna Jauhola, first.
- Best Sports Series: Luke Hagen, first.
- Best Sports Column: Luke Hagen, second.
- Best Editorial Writing: Korrie Wenzel, first; Seth Tupper, third.
- Best Local General Interest Column: Terry Woster, second; Tom Lawrence, third.
- Best Local Humorous Column: Seth Tupper, third.
- Best Spot News Photo: Chris Huber, second.
- Best Sports Photo: Chris Huber, second.
- Best Photo Series: Chris Huber, first.
- Best Special Issue: Daily Republic news staff, third.
- Best Classified Section: Penny Hohbach and staff, first.
- Best Use of Local Photography: Janet DeRouchey, second.
- Best Newspaper Promotion: Daily Republic staff, second.
- Best 2×4 Ad: Janet DeRouchey, second.